Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Whiskey Wednesday: Kumi (And Jeff's) Old Fashion

Happy Wednesday everyone!!!
A few months ago, I started a fun new blog series - 
Whiskey Wednesday!!!
I hope you're enjoying the series as much as I am.

If you missed them, here are the last few:
Irish Mule
 Mint Julep
Bourbon & Sparkling Lemonade
Irish Redhead

Make sure to check back each month for a new recipe!
Whiskey Wednesday will happen every first Wednesday of the month.

This month, I have another Guest Blogger taking over Whiskey Wednesday!
My friend and wonderful co-worker Kumi is a whiskey fan too.
As soon as I told her about the series, she had lots of input!

Lucky me, she sharing her favorite whiskey drink today - an Old Fashion.
Alright that's enough outta me,
it's time for Kumi to take over.

Hi guys!
Thanks, Robyn for inviting me to write my very first blog entry.
(woot!)

It can't be better that it's about WHISKEY.
Ohhhhhh the magical elixir.
Delicious, delicious, whiskey.

I learned early on in my drinking career that whiskey
(bourbon in particular) and I had a good thing going.
My go-to cocktail is an Old Fashioned and my husband learned to master it.
(oh lucky ME)

There are a million variations to this classic cocktail,
but this gal here likes it best the hubby's way.
Here's how to make it:

The Goods:
1 tsp white sugar
4 dashes of Angostura bitters
½ orange (for juice and peel)
2 oz of your favorite whiskey
1 large ice cube (or 2 to 3 regular sized)


 Add 1tsp of sugar (or 1 sugar cube) into glass.




 Add 4 dashes of bitters to sugar and stir to combine.



 Cut a strip of peel from orange and set aside.




 Cut orange in half and squeeze juice into glass, stir until sugar dissolves.
(tip: roll orange on cutting board before cutting to maximize juice squeezing)



 Pour 2oz or one shot glass full of your favorite delicious, delicious whiskey into glass 
(I like it with Bourbon) and stir.




 Add large ice cube (or 2-3 regular ice cubes) to glass and stir.


You can stop here and garnish the cocktail with the orange peel and serve. 
HOWEVER, if you want the glorious, fiery, goodness that is this cocktail,
keep reading and go the extra two steps below!


 (BRING ON DA FIRE)
Light match or lighter and carefully warm the orange peel 
(don't burn peel or fingers!) for about 10 seconds.



(TADAAAAAA MOMENT)
Hold flame over glass and squeeze the peel in half, spritzing orange peel oil at the flame 
(IT WILL SPARK GLORIOUSLY AND MAGICALLY, 
MAKING YOUR COCKTAIL SMELL SO ORANGEY GOOD). 

Add peel to drink and serve.

Now can we talk about how awesome all of her pictures are???
Wish I could hire her to take ALL my blog photos!!!
Make sure to keep her in mind if you're a Los Angeles local needing photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment