Sunday, November 20, 2011

Adventures In Pie Making: Pecan Pie

A few weeks ago my aunt, who's hosting Thanksgiving this year, called to ask if I wanted to bring anything, Of course I said I'd make something - in fact I said I'd make multiple things! :) But this post is really only about one of the things we decided I'd make: 

Homemade Pecan Pie!

Shortly after agreeing - I realized what I did...agree to make a hard pie to make and I'd never made it before!!!

This wasn't going to be a pie seen and eaten by just a few people.  I was going to be making a pie for multiple people without ever making or trying the recipe before.

I mean how hard can it really be...?

Well after more thought, I realized I needed to give the pie a trial run and Westgivingston was the PERFECT time!

I was really excited that I was going to be able to try it out to make sure the pie would be a success.

So a few Saturdays ago I went to town makin' a Pecan Pie.

The Goods

1 whole Unbaked Pie Crust
1 cup White Sugar
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Corn Syrup
3/4 teaspoons Vanilla
1/3 cup Melted Butter 
3 whole Eggs Beaten
1 cup (heaping) Chopped Pecans

Pie Crust Crimped By Yours Truly!

 Sugar, Brown Sugar and Salt Chillin' in the Bowl.

Add Corn Syrup...

And Melted Butter...

Then give it a stir - making sure all ingredients are combined.

Next - add beaten eggs.

And stir until combined.

Now time for the vanilla!

Place chopped pecans in pie crust and spread out evenly.

Pour mixture over pecans.

With all the mixture and nuts.

The nuts will rise to the top almost immediately!!!

And after baking.

It LOOKED amazing.

It wasn't burned on top AT ALL.

But sadly, it didn't set up correctly and was a little runny/syrupy mess. BOO!

It still tasted good, but didn't hold the shape I'd hoped for.

So after failing, I did a little more research and decided I wouldn't be making Pecan Pie for Thanksgiving after all.

I'd be making something else yummy. What? You'll find out soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment