Sunday, November 6, 2011

Adventures In Pie Making: Lemon Meringue Pie

Fall and pie seem to go so well together. No matter what you like - you can pretty much find a pie that suits your taste. There's pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, key lime pie, coconut cream pie, and the list goes on and on. 

Since there are so many different delicious pie recipes, I've decided that November is the perfect month for... 

PIE MONTH!!!

Yup, you read that correctly - I will be making PIES throughout the month of November. I may have to work out a little extra, but it will be worth it! :)

So before I ramble too much, let's get to the first pie: Lemon Meringue Pie!

I've made a few pies in the past, but never a Lemon Meringue Pie. I was a little hesitant because I recall a time from my childhood where my aunt and uncle (who are both excellent in the kitchen) attempted to make one, but it didn't turn out so well... Let's just say that straws were involved. 

I had the help of a great friend, so making the pie was easier than I thought! I combined a few different recipes because I'm crazy like that! Take a look at the process of making the amazing pie!

The Ingredients
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 lemons, juiced and zested
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 tablespoons white sugar

Sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, water, fresh lemon juice and 
lemon zest all combined in a medium saucepan.

Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until sugar mixture starts to boil. 

Stir in butter.

Whisk egg yolks.
Remove 1/2 cup of sugar mixture from saucepan 
and gradually whisk into egg yolks.


Whisk egg yolk/sugar mixture back into sugar mixture in saucepan and bring to a boil. 
Continue to cook until thick, remove from heat and set aside to cool.

In mixer, whip egg whites and 6 tablespoons sugar.

Whip about 10 minutes - until stiff peaks form.

Pour lemon sugar mixture into pie crust.
I used a pre-made frozen one and baked according to the directions on the bag.
(I know...I'm a cheater!)

Spread meringue over lemon sugar mixture and cover evenly.
Make peaks on top if desired.
Or make any design you'd like!

Halfway through baking!

Annnnnnnnnnd done!


I'm very glad I got over my hesitation and I made it - and will make it again in the future - but will do just a few things differently in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment