Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Garden LOVES Summer!

As of a few days ago, Summer is OFFICIALLY here! :)

I know it's felt like Summer in many parts of the country for weeks, even months, but we've been having our typical "June Gloom" here in Southern California.

The gloominess and lack of sunshine means my garden hasn't been as successful as it could be. But don't fret, with Summer here, the sun shining more and the temperature really warming up, my garden will start to produce even more in no time! You may think I'm crazy, but I can already see the difference in the last week, so and it can only get better.

The number of new tiny buds on my tomato plant is proof that my garden is loving the change. They're way too small to photograph, but I have between five and ten new bunches of blooms that will hopefully become clusters of cherry tomatoes!



My other tomato plant is doing just as great. The first tomato is really getting big and I have a few smaller ones that will hopefully show up better in next week's picture. I'm REALLY excited about this plant and am loving the daily progression.



The jalapenos are going CRAZY! There are new buds, blooms and mini peppers what seems like daily and it's only a matter of time until I get to consume the lil suckers! Mmm Mmm Mmm.


MINI PEPPER!!!

The strawberry plant is just okay. Nothing really new with it and I'm still only getting small little berries! :( I can't complain too much though because I enjoyed two of the tiny berries this afternoon and man they were super sweet!


As mentioned in a previous post, my radishes are no more. While sad, I have to look on the bright side that I have so many other successful plants like the green onions I introduced the same week as the radishes. I can only hope I don't have to get rid of the onions soon too, but I doubt that'll happen since they seem to be doing great!


The garlic and shallots are doing great as usual. I'm a little concerned about one shallot since it's so small compared to the others. I guess if one doesn't make it, I just have to be happy with those that do survive and produce!



And finally - my herbs are loving the Summertime too! 

The mint, what can I say? It took off and grew like crazy and I need to find ways to use it.


I use the rosemary enough, but would love new recipes for that too since it grows back so fast. 


The basil, I have recently realized is now as big if not bigger than last year's plant and that makes me absolutly happy!


The thyme, like usual is huge and is trying to take over the parsley's space.  


Speaking of the parsley, it needs to grow faster because I want to use it more often. Maybe I just need to buy another plant again...


Last but not least, the chives, while still around were forgotten this week... But don't worry because They don't change much and I don't use them too often. It's great to know they're around when I DO need or want them though!

Oh yeah - I almost forgot - I know the weather has helped my garden grow, but maybe it's also doing well with help from a lucky ladybug! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment