Saturday, June 26, 2010

Robyn vs. Caterpillars

NOTE: There is not a single picture of one of my enemies mentioned in this post due to the fact I was caught up in the moment when I found them and wanted to kill them instantly!  That, and I don't always have the camera near by. 

As I mentioned last week, I found a tiny little green caterpillar eating my oh so yummy basil.  I like basil,  so I can understand why the caterpillar wanted to eat it.  

I was upset about finding the little fellow eating my basil, but I was frustrated when I earlier this week I found another one eating holes in my catnip.  He (she, it, whatever) too went over the railing of my balcony.  This was getting serious.  Before they were they eating things that I enjoy, but now they were attacking my cat's treats too. Not good. Not good at all.  

It can't get much worse now, can it?  Oh yes, yes it can.  

While taking pictures of my garden today I noticed a few leaves on my beloved tomato plant with tiny little holes munched away.  A couple of the leaves were so holy they resembled swiss cheese. :(  I was furious with these caterpillars before, but now I was ANGRY!  

After a quick inspection of the leaves surrounding the ones that had previously been used as a snack, I found a third caterpillar.  The other two were easy to spot, but this one was sneaky and was camouflaged as a leaf vein!  This one wasn't so lucky though - instead of plunging to it's death from the second floor, I smashed it with one quick stomp.  Hope it learned it's lesson.  

Why?  Why were they eating the leaves of my crops!?!  Go eat someone else's plants already.  Please? I'm asking nicely.

If they don't just leave, which I doubt they will, I will most likely be battling them with something called Bt (Bacillus thuringinesis).  

I never wanted to spray any type of pesticide, but I guess if I'm going to do anything a "natural" one is best.  I even gave the garlic, onion, cayenne pepper and dish soap spray a try.  If I'm still having problems with them by next weekend, Bt is my next step.  




No comments:

Post a Comment