Happy Monday guys!!!
I'm back again for another Baked Donut Monday post
and today I'm going to tell you about some super tasty
WHOLE WHEAT CHOCOLATE DONUTS!
Yes, I said whole wheat donuts
And no, sadly that doesn't make them healthy.
But they are are pretty amazing either way.
After making and blogging about a few different baked donuts
I knew I needed to find another awesome baked donut recipe.
So what'd I do?
As usual - I turned to Google!
Google almost never steers me wrong
and I lucked out when I found this recipe!
Wheat Pastry Flour*
Ground Flax Seed
Measure out all your ingredients.
I find it helpful to have everything ready before I begin!
In a large mixing bowl, combine the following:
Flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground flax seed.
Next add your vegetable oil...
And your homemade buttermilk.
Then mix it all up so the dry and wet ingredients are combined.
This dough isn't as thick as other baked donut dough I've made.
Transfer donut batter into large zipper bag.
Cut off the end of the zipper bag
and fill your donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan a minute or two.
Then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
While they're cooling...
Combine your glaze ingredients.
Add enough milk so it's smooth enough to drip off your spoon!
Once donuts are cool to the touch,
drizzle glaze over donuts to your liking.
Let glaze set before serving.
And just keeping it real - you waste lots of glaze!
This was under the wire rack after I was done drizzling.
Now that the glaze is set,
the only thing left to do is DIG IN!!!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake Donuts
Adapted from Bran Appetit
For the donuts:
3/4 Cup Milk
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Wheat Pastry Flour*
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seed
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
For the glaze:
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Tablespoon Milk
*I didn't want to buy wheat pastry flour for just this recipe,
so instead I made 2 cups of my own by mixing together the following:
6/8 Cup Whole Wheat All Purpose Flour and 1 1/4 Cup Cake Flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a donut pan and set aside.
- Make homemade buttermilk by mixing 3/4 Cup Milk with 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice, then let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground flax seed.
- Add the vegetable oil and homemade buttermilk to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until dry and wet ingredients are fully combined.
- Transfer donut batter into large zipper bag and fill donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- Once donuts are fully cooled, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk together until smooth enough to drizzle off your spoon.
- Add glaze to donuts to your liking. Note - the recipe I found said to cover them completely, but I went with a light drizzle over the top and I was very satisfied with the outcome!