First off - wow!
I'm pretty sure that's the longest title this blog has ever had!
I honestly couldn't think of a shorter way to put it.
So just deal with it.
I'm back again for another Baked Donut Monday post
and today I'm going to tell you about some super tasty
BAKED RED VELVET DONUTS!!!
But what's Red Velvet without Cream Cheese Frosting?
And really - you can't forget the Rainbow Sprinkles either!
Enough talking out of me...
Let me show you how to make them!
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Red Food Coloring
The recipe I used called for Buttermilk.
But I hardly ever buy it at the store,
and just end up making my own!
How you ask?
Using regular milk and either vinegar or lemon juice.
This site has a great explanation on how it's made!
Get your dry ingredients ready.
Whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder,
baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until well combined.
Add half the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add the buttermilk, vinegar and remaining dry ingredients.
Mix until everything is fully combined.
Tint batter with red food coloring until desired color is reached.
Transfer batter to a zipper bag.
Cut off the the tip of the zipper bag and fill your donut pan 1/2 to 3/4 full.
Bake for about 10 minutes.
Remove from oven,
cool in the pan another minute.
Then cool completely on a wire rack.
Now time to make the frosting!!!
Mix together the cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Add in the vanilla and 1 teaspoon of milk until incorporated.
For a thinner frosting, add the remaining milk and combine.
Transfer frosting to bag and pipe onto cooled donuts!
Package up and deliver them to someone lucky!
And of course share them with a friend!!!
If you've missed my past baked donut posts,
Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting and Sprinkles Donut Recipe
Donuts Adapted from Spoonful of Flavor
Frosting Adapted from Amy's Healthy Baking
For the donuts:
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cake flour
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup buttermilk
3 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon red food coloring
For the frosting:
6 tablespoons cream cheese - softened
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a donut pan and set aside.
- Whisk together cake flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture and mix together.
- Add the butter milk, vinegar and remaining dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gradually add red food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Transfer donut batter into large zipper bag and fill donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Add in vanilla and 1 teaspoon of milk until well incorporated. Add remaining milk for thinner consistency.
- Transfer frosting into a new zipper bag and pipe onto donuts.
- Sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles to your liking!