Monday, October 31, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I've loved Roasted Pumpkin Seeds for as long as I can remember. When my brother and I were growing up, my mom roasted them every year and I just couldn't get enough. Year after year she would start cleaning the seeds while we carved and roasted them to perfection the next day after drying overnight.  

I started roasting my own seeds when I moved out, but I've never been able to duplicate the ones my mom roasted. In addition to trying to replicate my mom's recipe, I've tried different things like garlic and extra spice, but I think simplicity is best. This year - I decided to use olive oil instead of melted butter and I think I will be doing that from now on. The taste was pretty much the same, but the seeds were less greasy!

Now...a VERY quick look at the roasting process.

Dry seeds overnight - if not longer. 
In my opinion, the more dry the seeds are when they go into the oven, 
the better they roast and end up tasting.

When dry and ready to roast, pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.
(Yes this is low, but it's a low long roast...at least an hour)

The dry seeds with nothing on them.

Now covered in olive oil, sea salt and a bit of cayenne pepper!

Roast seeds 30 minutes, shake pan/flip over with spatula and return to oven.

Continue to roast for 30 more minutes, check seeds and either take them out, 
or return them to the oven and roast until golden and crisp!

A little blurry - but the roasted seeds in an airtight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment