Sunday, January 11, 2015

Homemade Pretzel Rolls

I got the idea to make some homemade pretzel rolls.
Shortly after I got home, I decided to make them.
But the holidays - all of them - kinda took over,
and it's taken me months to blog about their deliciousness!

I've made Soft Pretzels countless times,
but I didn't think that recipe would make the best rolls.
So I did some digging online and found this recipe!
And after gathering all the necessary ingredients,
I got busy in the kitchen making them!

The Goods:
Milk
Butter
Brown Sugar
Yeast
Salt
Flour
Baking Soda
Egg
Water

Heat butter and milk until warm.

While heating the butter and milk,
put brown sugar in your mixing bowl.

The butter and milk is ready 
when it's between 100 and 110 degrees.


Combine the warmed butter and milk,
with brown sugar and yeast in mixing bowl.
Stir in salt and 2 cups of flour, then beat for 3 minutes.
Gradually add more flour until you have a soft dough.

Attach dough hook and kneed until dough is smooth and elastic.
This will take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes.

Form dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl.
Cover and let rise for at least an hour - until doubled in size.

At this time, you'll want to Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

The originally recipe says to divide dough in half,
but I wanted smallish rolls so I divided mine into six.
Then formed each into a tight, smooth ball.

Combine 3 quarts of water with 3/4 cup baking soda and bring to a boil.
Boil in batches - I did two at a time - for two minutes, turning after one.
Remove with a slotted spoon and place on parchment lined baking sheet.

Cut an "X" in each roll with a sharp knife.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.

Put rolls in oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
Then bake rolls for 10 to 12 minutes longer...

Until they're evenly browned!
Cool on wire rack and then enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment