Sunday, June 24, 2012

Adventures With Rice: Herbed Basmati Rice

I love rice. I love it as a side dish, I love it on it's own. I love it in salad. And I love all kinds of rice, prepared many different ways!

Years ago, the only rice I made was Minute Rice or Rice-A-Roni, but as my cooking skills grew, I ventured out and realized that homemade rice doesn't take THAT much longer and the taste is just SO much better! In a pinch, or when I'm feeling very lazy, I still rely on those old favorites. :)

With all that said, let me show you how to make one of my favorite rice recipes:


The Goods:
  • Uncooked Long-Grain Basmati Rice
  • Water
  • Kosher Salt
  • Unsalted Butter
  • Minced Fresh Parsley
  • Minced Fresh Dill Leaves
  • Minced Fresh Scallions - White and Green Parts
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
Grab a big stock pot,

And melt some butter.

Then throw in the rice,

Mix it with the butter and toast the rice.

Once toasted, add the water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer and cook until water is absorbed.

YUM!

But wait - it gets better!!!

Add the Parsley, 

A little bit of Dill too, 

And finally the Scallions.

Mix it all together and enjoy!!!

This rice is so fresh and can easily go with many different meals. I'm sure you could also substitute other herbs, but I haven't given any others a try!


1 comment: