Sunday, August 7, 2011

Homemade Soup: Spicy Turkey Chili


I make turkey chili a few times a year. My recipe is a twist on a chili my mom made with ground beef when I was growing up. I've obviously swapped out the beef and replaced it with turkey, but I've made a few other modifications and additions as well.

The Ingredients!
(See list at bottom of post)

Browned Ground Turkey and Turkey Sausage

Sautéing Onions

Garlic added to Sautéing Onions

And now Bell Pepper added too!

The Jalapenos sautéing by themselves
(I didn't know if I was going to use them all or not,
otherwise I wold have sauteed them with everything else!)

Onions, Garlic, Bell Pepper and Jalapenos added to the browned meat.

In the Slow Cooker with EVERYTHING!

A bowlful ready to be devoured!

I recently made a batch of my homemade turkey chili to serve one night last week for a small group of really close friends. Heck - they're really more like my family.  I made the chili on Sunday to serve with Caesar Salad and Corn Muffins on Wednesday.  One of my coworkers gave me three homegrown Ananas Noire tomatoes that day so I used those to make a Caprese Salad for an appetizer. 

The Tomatoes
(I was too busy putting finishing touches on dinner 
and I forgot to take a picture of the Caprese Salad!)

On Wednesday afternoon it was announced that 36 million pounds of ground turkey were being recalled! When I first heard the news I was shocked because I eat ground turkey ALL the time, but then I remembered I was serving it that night!!! CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! After doing some reading, I found out that everything would be alright if it was cooked to 165 Degrees Fahrenheit and properly handled before cooking. I'd done both those things so I felt much better about serving ground turkey chili the day of a major ground turkey recall. 

In the end, the turkey chili was AMAZING and my turkey wasn't part of the recall anyway! :)

Spicy Turkey Chili
  • 1 Package Ground Turkey - browned
  • 2-5 Spicy Turkey Sausage - de-cased and browned
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion - diced and sauteed
  • 2-4 Cloves Garlic - minced and sauteed
  • 1/2 Bell Pepper - diced and sauteed
  • Diced and sauteed Jalapeno (the more the pepper, the hotter the chili!!!)
  • 1 Large Can and 1 Normal Sized Can Kidney Beans
  • 1 Large Can and 1 Normal Sized Can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Normal Sized Can Tomato Sauce
  • Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Chop up, saute and brown as directed above.
2. Combine all the ingredients and cook in a slow cooker for at least 6 hours. The longer it cooks, the more the flavors combine and intensify!
3. Serve with your desired toppings (Cheese, minced onions, sour cream, green onions, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment