Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Candied and Toasted Fresh Coconut

One of my friends recently made some Coconut Candy to recreate something her and her husband found and fell in love with in Hawaii on their honeymoon last Fall. I saw her making it and was lucky enough that I got a little bag to enjoy once it was all done. I fell in love with it too and knew it was something I wanted to make and blog about.

I searched and searched and searched for a recipe online, but couldn't find anything that really looked like it'd end up like my friend's so I decided to combine two recipes into one. I first did this to the coconut and then I did this to get it nice and toasted. Mmmmm!

Now let me show you how to make this tasty treat yourself. 

The Goods:
Fresh Coconut
Sugar
Water

 Poke the soft part of thecoconut out with a screwdriver.  

Drain the coconut.

 Smash the coconut in half with a hammer.

Remove the meat of the coconut and discard the shell.

Remove the brown area and slice VERY thin!

 Boil the fresh coconut in water to remove some of the fat.
After 5 minutes, drain and return to the pot.

 Add the sugar and water and bring to a boil. 

Simmer until water/sugar mixture has reduced completely and coconut is sticky. 


 Lay the candied coconut out in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Toast according to recipe.

This is about halfway done.

And done!!

It's carmely, and nutty, and a little chewy and simply delicious! 

I managed to burn myself while toasted the coconut, but man it was so worth the burn because the end result was simply amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment