Sunday, August 11, 2013

Elina and Robyn Make...RIBS!

If you follow my blog, I'm betting that you already know how much I love to cook and bake! I love the process, but I think I love the outcome of the tasty food even more. And recently, I've discovered that cooking and baking with one of your best friends is a whole lot of fun!!!

In the last year or so, I've made quite a few delicious things with my neighbor Elina, who also happens to be one of my best friends. I love cooking with her and I think we make a pretty good team! I've blogged about a few things we've made in the past, but after some thought I decided to start a new section called "Elina and Robyn Make...".

So without saying much more, I hope you enjoy reading about what we make and take a look at the first post of this awesome new section:
Elina and Robyn Make...RIBS!!!

While we were trying to decided exactly how we wanted the ribs to taste, we looked up many different recipes. We didn't use one specific recipe, or even two, but instead we used multiple recipes as inspiration to come up with our own homemade rib rub and homemade BBQ sauce!

The Goods:
2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
Cayenne Pepper
White Pepper
Brown Sugar
Salt
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Smoked Paprika
Chili Powder
Ground Nutmeg

Cut each rack or ribs in half.

Measure out the spices for the rub mixture.
Try some measurements similar to  this, or research a few like we did!

And combine them well. 

Generously rub the mixture...

o!n both side of the ribs

And wrap each half rack in foil. 

Line the wrapped ribs up on a cookie/baking sheet to catch any drippings. 

Put the ribs in the oven that has been preheated to 250 Degrees.

Cook them for 2 hours to start.

While the ribs are in the oven, it's time to start on the sauce!

The Sauce Goods:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Vegetable Oil
Cumin
Honey
Brown Sugar
Chili Powder
Worcestershire Sauce
Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Ketchup
Diced Onion
Minced Garlic

Mince the garlic and dice the onion.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and let simmer for 30 minutes. 

Strain the onions and garlic from the sauce...

so it looks smooth and delicious!

After the ribs have cooked for2 hours,  it's time to add the sauce!

Unwrap the ribs from the foil...

Lay them out on a foil lined cookie/baking sheet...

And brush the sauce on both sides!

Return them to the oven and cook 30 more minutes.

Add sauce to both sides ONE MORE TIME and return to the oven.

After 30 more minutes in the oven, they should be falling off the bone and ready to devour!

Yup - READY for eating!!!

And serve with something equally as delicious!
We enjoyed our ribs with homemade french fries, grilled apricot/goat cheese salad and corn bread.
YUMMMM!



No comments:

Post a Comment