Sunday, December 12, 2010

Happy (Belated) Hanukkah with a Latke Competition!


I've been going to the same Hanukkah party for quite a few years and last year they implemented a new traditions - a latke making competition! 

Being the cook that I am, I decided I was going to give it a whirl. I'd never made them before, but I didn't think it would be too hard.  With the help of a great friend, we whipped up a batch and they were amazing. The best I'd ever tasted, but I may have been partial because I'd made them... :)

We ended up winning!  It was great and even better because I was the only non-Jewish person to win.

Knowing there was a competition again this year, we knew we had to step it up from last year.  We decided on...


Jalapeno latkes!

Were they a hit?

Yes! Yes, they were!

Were they winners?

Well...

The rules were different this year! Last year there was only one winner and it was yours truly.  This year though, they awarded Best Tasting, Best Looking AND Better Luck Next Time!

So did I win again?!?!?!?

I didn't win for Best Tasting! :(

But...

I did win for Best Looking! 

(Disclaimer: I was too busy making about 50 latkes that 
I didn't take many pictures and this is the best I got 
which isn't a great representation of the win!)

Woo Hoo!  Two Time winner!!!  It was great to win last year, but even better to keep up the winning tradition for a second year in a row.

To be honest though, I couldn't have done it without the help of Josh and a few extra special taste testers.

Hanukkah may be over now, but I may still make more latkes before the end of the year... YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment