Saturday, July 26, 2014

Homemade Lemon Sorbet

My friend, Inez, has a lemon tree.
As soon as I found out, I instantly asked her for some lemons.
I didn't have any plans for said lemons, 
but I love using them in recipes and lemons aren't cheap!

Shortly after asking for the lemons,
Inez had a bag of lemons picked and ready for me.
I didn't just get a few lemons either.
No, I got a DOZEN lemons!

Now that I had tons of lemons,
I needed to figure out what I wanted to make with them.
After very little thought and some research, I decided on:

I was already salivating for the tart, yet refreshing treat and got to work making it!

The Goods:
2 1/4 Cups Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1 1/2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
3 Cups Water
3 Cups Granulated Sugar
Ice Cream Machine (Not Pictured)

But first...
it was time to juice said lemons.


Before I go further, I have to say that while making the sorbet, 
I also did a little lemon juice comparison.
Why?
Because I wanted to, I could and so I did!

I had two store bought lemons before I got the dozen from Inez.
After seeing the home grown lemons, I was in shock. 
They were so BIG and I was betting they'd be a lot more juicy too.

I took the two store bough lemons, juiced them and I had 1/2 a cup.
I then took two similar sized home grown lemons, juiced those and I had 3/4 of a cup.
The home grown lemons yielded 50% more juice!!!
So my suspicions were right! 

Now back to the sorbet making...

Juice and zest your lemons.

Combine the lemon juice and lemon zest
with the simple syrup you already made.

Pour your mixture into the ice cream maker
and let the machine do it's job.
It will take 20 to 30 minutes until done.
Your sorbet will be very soft.

Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours.

Remove from freezer about 5 minutes before serving.
Eat and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment