Thursday, June 9, 2016

David's Famous Salsa!

Growing up in Tucson Arizona,
my best friend's dad made some amazing salsa.
I always wondered how he made it,
but he always said there wasn't really a recipe.

Over the years, I wasn't the only one that asked about it,
so somehow a fairly good recipe was put together
and lucky me, I was able to get my hands on it

I was home visiting earlier this year and saw my friend's family.
I hadn't seen her dad in probably 15 years and it was great to catch up.
I asked him permission to share his recipe on my blog,
and since you're reading this, he of course said yes!

So without saying anything more,
let me show you how this yummy salsa is made!

The Goods:
Tomato Sauce
Whole Peeled Tomatoes
Salt
Oregano Leaves
Garlic
Garlic Powder
Green Onions
Cilantro
Dried Chili Tepins
Limes
Red Wine Vinegar

First thing you want to do is get all your ingredients prepped.

Chop up an entire bunch of green onions and set aside.

Mince one to two garlic cloves so you have a full teaspoon.

Chop up one entire bunch of cilantro and set aside.

Slice your limes in half.

In a blender, add ingredients in the following order:
Half the can of whole tomatoes (and juice), 
three quarters of the chopped green onions, 
all of the chopped cilantro, 
juice from the limes, 
red wine vinegar, 
salt, 
a sprinkle of garlic powder, 
minced garlic, 
crushed chili tepins, 
oregano leaves, 
the rest of the whole tomatoes, 
the rest of the green onions 
and last but not least the tomato sauce!!!

Blend well for about a minute. 
And that's it for a batch of David's salsa!

As you can see in the photo above,
this recipe makes quite a bit of salsa!
Knowing that, I've been known to make a batch for myself
and then give a lot of it away to coworkers and friends.

Sometimes I take a little more time and package it up in cute mini mason jars!

David's Famous Salsa
1 (15 oz) Can Tomato Sauce
1 (28 oz) Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
2 Teaspoons Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Oregano Leaves
1 Teaspoon Garlic, Minced
Sprinkle of Garlic Powder
1 Bunch Green Onions, Chopped
1 Bunch Cilantro, Chopped
1 FULL Teaspoon Dried Chili Tepins, Crushed
3 to 4 Limes
1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar

  1. In a blender, add ingredients in the following order:
    • Half the can of whole tomatoes (and juice)
    • Three quarters of the chopped green onions
    • All of the chopped cilantro
    • Juice from the limes
    • Red wine vinegar
    • Salt
    • Sprinkle of garlic powder
    • Minced garlic
    • Crushed chili tepins
    • Oregano leaves
    • The rest of the can of whole tomatoes
    • The rest of the green onions
    • Last but not least the tomato sauce
  2. Blend well for about a minute. 
  3. Store in airtight jar for about a week or two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment