Monday, January 4, 2016

Baked Donut Monday: Frosted Birthday Cake Donuts!

Happy Monday you guys!!!
I'm back again for another Baked Donut Monday post
and today I'm going to tell you about some super tasty
BIRTHDAY CAKE FROSTED DONUTS!!!

Oh and January is my birthday month,
so of course these were going to be birthday themed!
And what's a birthday without rainbow sprinkles???
Even a birthday in your 30's needs them, I promise!

I love birthdays. I love donuts. And I love rainbow sprinkles.
So I searched for a birthday themed donut (with sprinkles) and found these.
While they looked great, they weren't baked,
but I decided to give it a whirl anyway...

The Goods:
All Purpose Flour
Rainbow Sprinkles
Baking Powder
Kosher Salt
Sugar
Butter
Eggs
Vanilla Extract
Milk
Cocoa Powder
Powdered Sugar

In a medium bowl whisk together 
the flour, rainbow sprinkles, baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt.


Add butter and sugar to the bowl and beat until well combined.

Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fully mixed in.


Add half of the flour mixture and mix well.

Now add your milk and mix again.
*Note, here's where I would increase the milk!

Add the rest of the flour and mix one last time!

Transfer donut batter to a large zipper bag.

Cut off the end of the zipper bag 
and fill your donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes,
until golden brown and 
toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
 


While donuts are cooling, make the frosting!!!

Add cocoa powder, butter, vanilla and salt and combine.
 Mix in the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. 


Dip cooled donut into frosting...

Then COVER in rainbow sprinkles!!!


Then take a bite to review your work...

Let me start by saying this is the second time I've attempted funfetti donuts.
The first time, the sprinkles bleed into the dough making it look tie-dyed.
Cool, but really not the look I was going for so I considered that time a fail.

Sadly, I'm considering this, my second attempt a fail too.
While they look great, they are just a little too dry in my opinion.
I used a fried donut recipe and attempted to bake them.

I think the dough itself just needs to be a little more moist.
Maybe more milk would make it better?
If you try it, please do let me know!!!

Birthday Cake Donuts
Adapted From foodnetwork.com

For the donuts:
2 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Rainbow Sprinkles
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
Kosher Salt to taste
3/4 Cup Sugar
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Eggs
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Milk 
*Note, here's where I would increase the milk!

For the frosting:
 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
4 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Pinch Kosher Salt
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Rainbow Sprinkles for Garnish

  1. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, rainbow sprinkles, baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
  2. Add butter and sugar to the bowl and beat until well combined.
  3. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fully mixed in.
  4. Add half of the flour mixture and mix well.
  5. Add your milk and mix again. *Note, here's where I would increase the milk!
  6. Add the rest of the flour and mix one last time!
  7. Transfer donut batter to a large zipper bag.
  8. Cut off the end of the zipper bag and fill your donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes,until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
  10. In a new bowl, add cocoa powder, butter, vanilla and salt and combine.
  11. Mix in the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.  
  12.  Dip cooled donut into frosting and then cover in rainbow sprinkles.
  13. Let frosting set and then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment