Monday, March 2, 2015

Baked Donut Monday: Apple Cinnamon!

At my office, we have Bagel Fridays every week.
Recently a coworker told me she wished we had donuts instead.
I've taken homemade donuts to work on a Monday more than once,
so as soon as she said she wished we got donuts and not bagels,
I immediately had a light bulb go off in my head!

I've decided to make Baked Donut Monday into a blog series.
I'm hoping to post a NEW baked donut recipe every 1st Monday of the month!
Make sure to check back each month for something new.

For the very first Baked Donut Monday post, 
I'm going to tell you all about some delicious
APPLE CINNAMON DONUTS!!!

The Goods:
Flour
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Salt
Cinnamon
Egg
Apple Butter
Vanilla
Honey
Apple Juice
Sour Cream
Vegetable Oil
Butter (Oops! Not pictured!)
(Full Recipe at bottom of post!)

I was inspired by this recipe on a blog I read often.
Silly me, I didn't read the recipe fully the first time,
and when I went to make it, I was missing Apple Butter.
So I tried to make do, but I didn't love the end result.

After purchasing the Apple Butter weeks later,
I decided to try again, but was now without Apple Cider.
I didn't want to buy a HUGE jug of it,
so I substituted Apple Juice for the Apple Cider
and made a few other small changes too.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Grease your donut pan and set aside.
Now get to work making the dough!

In one large bowl, combine the following:
flour baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar.
In another large bowl, combine the following:
egg, apple butter, vanilla, honey, apple juice, sour cream and oil.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix until blended.

After making a few batches of donuts,
I've found it's easiest to transfer your dough to a gallon zipper bag.
This will make filling the donut pan MUCH easier!

 Cut off the the tip of the zipper bag and fill your donut pan 1/2 to 3/4 full. 
Bake for about 10 minutes, remove from oven and start cooling in the pan.

After a few minutes, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.

While they're cooling, get your topping ingredients ready.
Simply melt your butter in the microwave 
and combine your cinnamon and sugar in a separate dish.

Your donuts should still be slightly warm and it's time to finish them.
Brush both sides with the melted butter...

Then roll in cinnamon sugar mixture until coated.
And then they're done!
(Note - there are so many here because I doubled the recipe.)

I didn't wanted to be temped by all those donuts, 
so I packaged some up for neighbors...

Then I ate one (ok maybe two!) 
and got the rest ready to take to work!

Apple Cinnamon Donut Recipe
Adapted from Christina's Recipe

For the donuts:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup apple butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup apple cider
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons canola oil
For the topping:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, grease a donut pan and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar. 
  3. In another large bowl, whisk the egg, apple butter, vanilla extract, honey, apple cider, sour cream and oil. 
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a hand mixer.
  5. Transfer donut batter into large zipper bag and fill donut pan until 1/2 to 3/4 full. 
  6. Bake for about 10 minutes and cool on a wire rack. 
  7. While donuts are cooling, melt butter for the topping in a microwave safe dish. 
  8. In a separate dish, combine the remaining sugar with the cinnamon. 
  9. Brush both sides of the donut with butter and roll in sugar mixture until coated.
Makes 8 to 10 donuts.
(Note - I had so many because I doubled the above recipe!)

Don't forget to check back in April for the next yummy donut!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment